Last night my High School Freshman informed me that he had to interview me for his Foundations of Wellness class. I chuckled to myself wondering what type of questions I would be asked. Little did they know that they had opened a can of worms by asking someone who is a 14 year cancer survivor who healed with natural methods after conventional treatments had failed.
When the time came for him to interview me there were two simple questions. I am ashamed to say that I was a little stumped as to how to relay my thoughts.
Question #1 - What do you wish you would have learned in school about health?
Answer I gave him: I wish that I would have understood the importance of real food, exercise and the need for regular detoxing of the body.
How do you describe to a school health teacher the level of information you had to gain to save your life? How do you put it into words that work for a 9th grader to put into homework? It isn’t easy and if I had been able to write it down I would have done better.
What I wish I knew. I wish that I had learned that just eating to fill my stomach with food when it was time for a meal or a snack is not enough. I wish I had understood that real foods with enzymes and nutrients were critical to keeping me healthy. That these enzyme reactions create a cascade of actions in my body from hormones to detoxification to healthy DNA formation. That eating fruits and vegetables keeps my pH level high so that my body can fight off disease. I wish I had known that eating refined carbohydrates loaded with sugar was not a substitute for real food – just getting calories was not enough. In college I would often grab a rice krispy bar and a cappuccino out of vending machine before night classes and that was my dinner. I now know that this is not dinner. That it is a health destroying combination of caffeine, sugar and acidic foods that promote a lowered immune system and hammer the adrenal glands. I wish I had known about the importance of good fats like Omega 3 Fatty Acids from fish and olive oil as well as CLA from grass fed cows that produce healthy butter fat. Our brain is 60% fat and the coatings of our nerves are dependent on fat. Our hormones also need fat – sex and thyroid. The cellular wall is made of lipids (fats). Low fat diets (which were the crazy in the 80′s) made us hormonally challenged and angry because we needed fat.
I wish I had learned that the food pyramid put together by the federal government was lopsided.
The largest group in this pyramid is the grains. Grains are not the most important food item. They are very acidic and with the advent of hybrid grains and now GMO’s they are wreaking havoc on our intestinal tract. Many people are presenting with gluten intolerance causing hormone imbalance, brain fog, and even cancer.
The true order of this pyramid should be ( bottom up) :
1) Veggies / Fruits
2) Meats (grass fed and free range) / Dairy from organic grass fed source,
3) Fats - olive oil, coconut oil, butter, avocados and finally
4) Grains – gluten free from sources like amaranth, quinoa, teff and brown rice.
I wish I would have known…….
Question #2: What do you think I should be learning in Health?
My answer: Importance of real food, exercise and detoxification.
Again this feels like a cop out a day later. This is what I really want them to know but sadly, will never ever be taught in a school health class.
1. God Created Food Can Heal You – My children attend a Christian school so the God part isn’t an issue. But the fact that I believe and have seen over and over the power of real food to heal the body is not something that is embraced by most Christian people. They still believe that Doctors are needed by everyone to stay well. They believe that pharmaceutical medication trumps herbs, essential oils or homeopathic remedies when illness occurs. This is wrong as God has provided what we need in His perfect creation.
12 And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat,whose leaf shall not fade , neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed : it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine. ~ Ezekiel 47:12
2. A Chiropractor is the Most Important Doctor – Receiving Chiropractic care is one of the most important things you can do for your body especially as it is growing. The birthing process creates something called subluxations (misalignment of the spine) which cases the nervous system to “misfire” and send wrong signals through the body. This means that the organs of the body are not operating at optimum levels. I see moms with their babies that have reflux succumb to the pediatricians guidance by giving them Mylicon or stronger medications to reduce stomach acid. But God has designed us to be in balance. Chiropractic can help to restore this balance. It isn’t an overproduction of acid issue. It’s a matter of restoring us to the way we were created. Our family uses Chiropractic for ear infections. bronchial infections, colds & flu, sports injuries and more. It is the place we go to before any other doctor.
3. Vaccines Injure our Immune System – As a Christian, I am always shocked at the number of Christian parents who have not investigated this topic objectively. Most parents tell me that the reason they vaccinate is because their pediatrician recommended it and they “trust them”. What is that trust based on? Top Christian Neurosurgeon Dr Russell Blaylock, warns of the fallacy of herd immunity. With the rise in popularity of the internet, the ability to share information has exploded! Parents can no longer claim ignorance to the issues. The past two weeks have shown us the deception that has occurred with CDC coverups on vaccines as well as the top 2 researchers for the MMR and Gardasil coming out to expose the fraud that these vaccines were from the start and how they should never have been released to the market. They are injuring and killing our children. And that is straight from the mouths of the researchers!! I wish they would warn the teen girls and boys that getting the HPV vaccine puts you at risk for an STD, Seizures, Guillian-Barre Syndrome and Ovary destruction in girls. I wish someone would tell them. As Christians, to vaccinate your children against disease (vaccination does not = immunization) says to God – “I don’t believe that you built my immune system to protect me against the diseases that I may be faced with.” The truth of these so-called “vaccine preventable” diseases is that they were already on the decline prior to the vaccines and they continued to decline at the same rate after the vaccines were released.
4. GMO / Junk UnFoods – I wish that they would teach them how dangerous GMO foods are to their development and health. They could show them DVD’s like Seeds of Deception. I would even share my copy with them! Tell them how the chemicals, like food dyes, destroy their brain. There are colors in our “food” labelled with names like “Lake” which is actually aluminum – a known neurotoxin. Please tell them how MSG is an excitotoxin that destroys brain cells. A good resource would be to show the class Dr Russell Blaylocks talk on Excitotoxins to bring the topic to light for them and their parents. They could teach that Mt Dew, one of the most popular sodas consumed by teen boys, contains a toxic halide (Bromide – Brominated Vegetable Oil) that destroys your ability to absorb what precious little iodine you get in your food which will lower your body’s ability to create thyroid hormone. This hormone is a critical component in your sex hormone development that may cause you to have fertility issues later in life. That the bromide in this drink numbs the nervous system and makes you “dumbed down”. I wish they would tell them……
5. Real Food – What is it? - Most clients will tell me that they eat well. But when I dig deeper into what they consume I am shocked at what is considered to be eating well. It isn’t. What I consider to be eating well. I’ll admit, I don’t always feed my family well and at times resort to processed / packaged foods too. I try to go by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time eat real foods that nourish so that when the 20% happens, your body is not overwhelmed and can handle it. This is an example of what our family food looks like:
Breakfast: Free Range Eggs, oatmeal, ancient grain pancakes/waffles, smoothies with fresh fruits, whey protein, yogurt, flaxmeal or chia seeds and even greens like spinach.
Lunch: Fresh fruits, uncured organic meats, organic (or preferably raw) cheeses, nuts and gluten free breads or crackers.
Dinner: Free range / Organic meats, veggies, and fruits.
Oils / Fats: Coconut Oil, Olive Oil and Imported Irish Grass Fed Butter
This was my shopping trip yesterday. On the day that I came up with no suggestions as to what I expected to be taught. This is what they should teach.
6. Cleansing / Detox – This is a topic that I never heard anyone discuss until I was fighting cancer and sought the help of a Naturopathic Doctor. I never gave much thought to my liver or kidneys which are responsible for cleaning all the toxic chemicals we ingest or are exposed to in our environment. Yet most people will never do a formal liver cleanse during their lifetime. Why is this? I wish they would teach these students that the acne issues they are seeing on their face is probably related to a liver that has gotten so overloaded that it is forcing toxins out through the skin (the largest detox organ). I wish they would tell the girls who are struggling with painful cycles that the large amount of toxins they have put into their body and lack of nutrients has caused them to have massive hormone imbalances that cause them to suffer monthly with cramping, mood swings, headaches and more. I wish someone would tell them that it doesn’t have to be this way. Cleansing the liver is easy – it just takes really food and nutrition. God designed us this way. Think about it. We have to change the air, oil and fuel filters in our car. Why don’t we do the same to our body?
I am sorry dear son that at 10:30 pm last night when you asked me these questions I was not prepared with a better answer. I do care and I am concerned about what you and your classmates are being taught. It has lifetime consequences if you don’t get a good foundation in your youth. I know….. it is why I got cancer. But praise God, through seeking truth and understanding I was able to heal by His grace.
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s. ~ I Corinthians 6:19-20 KJV