I am often asked about the benefits of supplementing with boron. I decided that it was time for a blog on this topic. Boron is often associated with a laundry booster – Borax.
Believe it or not there are many who ingest Borax as a way to obtain boron. But is it safe? The box states that the contents are “99.5% Borax, also known as “sodium tetraborate” or “sodium tetraborate decahydrate”, and 0.5% “naturally occurring trace minerals”. I’ll share a link to a toxicology site where there is some scientific research for you to review. I’m not going to tell you what to do but I will tell you that I would not consume this product. The main reason? It’s not a nutritional supplement. Nutritional supplements are maintained in tightly controlled environments free of pests, toxins and and other contaminants. They are tested to be fit for human consumption. Borax will not be. It’s not controlled by any GMP or NSF standards, as good quality supplements are. You just don’t know what you are are ingesting. So what do you do?
Well, there is an option. The same maker of LugoTabs which contains Lugol’s formula iodine in a tablet also makes BoroTabs which is boron. Available in 30 mg / 90 tablet bottles or 75 mg / 60 or 75 mg / 120 tablet (**NEW**) bottles. You can read the pdf document from Hakala Labs with their brief description and research resources.
So what other potential benefits does supplementing with boron have?
- Bones – Boron is needed by the bones to assist in calcium absorption which will help them to avoid becoming porous and weak. Boron can also help the body to use Vitamin D more efficiently which will also strengthen the bones.
- Muscles – Boron will assist in building proper muscle mass by promoting healthy testosterone levels.
- Hormone Balance – Boron can assist in helping the body to balance both estrogen and testosterone. It may even increase fertility. For some it may reduce PMS and menopausal symptoms.
- Magnesium Absorption – Boron has been shown to increase magnesium absorption in the body which would also be beneficial to the bones. Magnesium is important for the iodine protocol as well as for moods, muscles and over 300 enzyme reactions in the body.
- Reduces Inflammation – Boron has been scientifically shown to reduce inflammation markers such as CRP.
- Brain Activation – Boron increases brain electrical activity.
- Prostate Health – A boron deficiency has been shown to be correlated with an increased risk of prostate cancer.
- Fluoride – Boron may be effective in the elimination of fluoride form the bones and tissues of the body.
- Blood Sugar – Boron has shown promise in assisting the pancreas in regulating blood sugar and triglyceride levels.
- Arthritis – Since Boron can assist in getting calcium into the body it will help to maintain healthy cartilage levels which will be protective of the joints.
Boron is a seldom discussed, but important, nutrient in our body. If you are struggling with any of the above issues a trial of this mineral may be in order.
For further reading: Nothing Boring About Boron